Press Room

Lottery, Trustee Have In-Person Meeting Regarding Hot Lotto® Jackpot Claim; Investigation Continues

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Iowa Lottery officials and representatives of the trust that claimed the Hot Lotto jackpot from December 2010 met in person Tuesday to discuss the claim.

Crawford Shaw of Bedford, N.Y., the trustee for Hexam Investments Trust, attended the meeting late Tuesday afternoon at lottery headquarters in Des Moines along with local attorneys who also represent the trust. They met with lottery security investigators and the lottery's legal counsel for about 1˝ hours, and the lottery’s investigation into the matter continues.

"There was a good discussion this afternoon, and the investigation continues," Lottery CEO Terry Rich said. "We must ensure that the investigatory work is not compromised. As we have said before, we're glad that the winning ticket has been turned in. We look forward to learning more details about the situation."

The jackpot prize has not been paid out -- and will not be paid out -- until the lottery has been able to complete the security process for the jackpot win.

Rich emphasized that lottery officials still do not know how long it will before there is a resolution to the situation.

"This is the first time the lottery has experienced a situation like this in its 26-year history, and we will continue our work, understanding that the security and integrity of the Iowa Lottery and its games cannot be compromised," he said.

The representatives of the trust declined to hold a media briefing upon the conclusion of the meeting with lottery officials.

The jackpot-winning ticket from the Hot Lotto drawing on Dec. 29, 2010, was presented at Iowa Lottery headquarters in Des Moines with less than two hours to go before it would have expired. The ticket was presented by two lawyers from the Davis, Brown, Koehn, Shors & Roberts law firm in Des Moines on behalf of Hexam Investments Trust, with Crawford Shaw as the trustee. No member of the trust was present when the ticket was turned in on Dec. 29.